- Full-time bagpipe lessons, individual and class, since 1994
- Browse remarks from my students.
- 1996, Founding piper Mastery of Scottish Arts Winter School, an annual piping camp designed to bring Gold Medalists the world over to teach near Seattle. Designed curriculum still in use today (as my own continuing education). “Seattle’s Mastery of Scottish Arts continues to grow from strength-to-strength with strong programming and participation”, Roddy MacLeod, MBE, Principal, National Piping Centre, Glasgow, in Piping Today, 2012.
- Recreational and competitive musicians
- Large classroom in NW Seattle, or over advanced Skype sessions
- Technique, timing, maintenance, making instruments easy for the musician
- Highland bagpipes, Scottish Small pipes & Reel pipes
I work with students personally all the time (parents are always welcome too!). In person, yes, and by also by Skype more so. Pipers have used Skype for instruction since it appeared, and it works incredibly well for pipes. I’ve made sure my Skype broadcasts have no perceptible lag.
I have a large, bright and friendly classroom studio, designed for piping, in northwest Seattle.
Student goals include improving technique, bettering timing, sometimes goals for solo competition, or becoming team musicians (and sometimes leaders) for Seattle’s Elliott Bay Pipe Band (where I volunteer as lead music director, or Pipe-Major).
I have a lengthy background in classical pipe music, Piobaireachd (or Pibroch). I enjoy it very much, as I do all pipe music! I have successfully competed with many, and I teach it successfully all the time.
My schedule for weekly instruction is Monday Tuesday Wednesday, and includes youth and adult beginners through advanced players. Notable advanced students include Aggregate Winners in grades I, II and III in most regional games, including the 2003 winner of the British Columbia Pipers Association Annual Gathering Grade I Piobaireachd.
I have a Bachelors of Science in Speech Communication (Oregon State University), minoring in Engineering Physics. Prior to piping full-time, I specialized in niche marketing strategies for law, architecture, and graphic design firms. I have a seven-year history of Competitive speech and debate, including five for OSU.
Tyrone offers private lessons weekdays, from morning to late afternoon. Private lessons may be in person or over Skype. Lessons times may vary to meet the needs of both student and teacher. Weekends and evenings are reserved for performances, rehearsal and travel, as are some Thursdays and Fridays.